Pages

Saturday, August 14, 2010

The Android Project Reviews: The Best Video Player for Android - RockPlayer



One of the biggest issues I have with Android is the lack of an all-in-one media player. Unfortunately the native video player that is built into the OS is severely lacking and only plays a few different video formats. Until somebody comes out with a media player that can play both music and videos, we'll have to make due with what we've got.

I've used quite a few different video apps on the market, and I've been disappointed by every one of them... until now. I downloaded the free version of an application called RockPlayer and gave it a try. It plays almost everything I've thrown at it. According to the developer's website, RockPlayer is an embedded platform, high-performance all-format video player. And I don't disagree with that. The developer says that RockPlayer can handle the following formats: avi mkv rmvb mp4 mov wmv asf wma wav mpg ts mpa dvd au mp3 mid ivf aiff ogm ogg cda flic d2v aac roq flac drc dsm swf pls pmp. As you can see, there's not much it can't handle. There's no more need to transcode your video files before putting them on your phone.

One of the disadvantages to RockPlayer is the price, and the fact that you can't purchase it straight from the Android Market. Although the free version works fine, it is ad supported and there is a red "R" in the top left-hand side of the screen, which may bother some people. So to purchase the app, you have to go to the developer's website and pay $9.99, which is pretty steep compared to most of the apps in the market. But if you find yourself watching a lot of videos that aren't supported by the native Android video player, I highly recommend you purchase this app.


For me, I give the RockPlayer app an 8 on the gotta-have-it scale. I can't stand having to transcode .avi files before transferring them to my Droid. So this app is well worth it. Go ahead and give it a try and let me know what you think in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment