Pages

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Froyo 101: Adjusting Flash Settings in Stock Browser

Now that many of us are running Android 2.2 (Froyo) on our phones, I thought it might be good to share some tips and tricks that I've learned during my short time using it. Unfortunately, Froyo doesn't come with a user manual (Google probably has one somewhere, but I haven't found it). So I'll do my best to share with you the options that Froyo gives you that you might not discover on your own.

The first tip I'd like to share is how to change the Flash settings in Android's stock browser. The first thing that impressed me about Froyo wasn't its ability to handle Flash, but the speed improvements in the stock browser. Unfortunately, I've found that running Flash all the time decreases web site load times significantly, especially on media-heavy sites. Hopefully this will improve once Flash 10.1 moves out of beta, but until then, I can't have it slowing me down.

To fix this problem, the stock browser gives you the option to completely disable Flash, or to pick and choose which Flash objects to enable when you want it. So here's how you do it:

1. Open up the stock Android browser
2. Hit the Menu button
3. Select "More" in the Menu
4. Select "Settings"
5. Scroll down to "Enable plug-ins" and select it


6. Select "On demand" if you want to pick and choose which Flash objects to use OR
    Select "Off" if you want to completely disable Flash


There you have it, a fairly simple fix, although not that obvious if you don't know where to find it.

Do you have any tips for using Froyo that you'd like to share? Leave them in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment