Pages

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Android Project Reviews: SMS Backup


Category: Texting
Price: Free
Gotta-have-it factor: 6

The whole landscape of golf would be completely different right now if Tiger Woods knew his technology a bit better. If he had just backed up his text messages and deleted them from his phone, his Cadillac wouldn’t look like this. The SMS Backup application for Android is one that I just discovered, and I’m amazed at how simple it is and how well it functions.

I found out about 4 days ago that the memory on my Droid for text messages is not infinite. For some reason I was under the belief that the phone was storing my texts on the SD card. Then I got a message from my phone telling me that it rejected a text message because my memory was full. I still don’t know what that message was. I hope it wasn’t important. Come to think about it, my wife has been missing for about 4 days now…

But seriously, the SMS Backup app allows you to automatically back-up the texts stored on your phone to your Gmail account, where we have much more storage space than the internal memory of my Droid. I’ve always been a hoarder of text messages because I know there are times when my friends have texted me things that they should have kept to themselves. Someday when by buddy Andrew runs for public office, my text keeping habits will come in handy.

The SMS Backup gives you the option to name the folder in your Gmail account in which to store the texts that it backs up. You can also mark the texts as “read” in your Gmail if you prefer.

I haven’t found any problems with this app. It does what it is supposed to do, and does it well. The only reason I gave it a mere “6” on the gotta-have-it scale is because not everyone needs a text message back-up application. However, I would give it a 9 or a 10 if I were rating how well it works. So if this is the type of app you are looking for, don’t hesitate to download the SMS Backup app for Android.

No comments:

Post a Comment