Pages

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Google's Larry Page blames poor Android battery life on app developers... Would blame Steve Jobs if he could


Any of you Android owners get a full day's usage out of your phone's battery? Anyone? Well there's something wrong if you don't, according to Google co-founder Larry Page. In a recent interview, Larry Page said that your phone's battery should make it through a full day.

My Motorola Droid gets horrendous battery life, although I will be the first to admit that I have done nothing to maximize my battery usage. I work in an office all day, so I have a plug nearby all the time. The only frustrating part of this is that I either have to carry my charger with me to work, or buy a new charger to keep one at home and one in my office.

My frustration hit a peak yesterday when I was stuck in a jury selection room for 6 hours or so and I forgot to bring a book with me. I spent 3 hours straight playing games and surfing the web on my phone when I noticed that the battery had drained to 20%. At that point I couldn’t risk going the rest of the day without phone access so I had to cut my Android distractions short.

In my opinion Larry is being a bit too quick to pass the blame to the Android app developers for poor battery usage. There will always be room for improvement in the Android OS, and I hope that Froyo will at least make an attempt at fixing the quick battery drain problem. Until then, I will just have to make do with carrying my charger around with me and continue to have people ask “What’s that strange bulge in your pocket?”

2 comments:

  1. I upgraded to the "standard" battery from htc for my Droid Incredible - it ups the rating from 1300mil to 1500mil. That gets me about another 1.5-3.0 hours depending on what I'm doing. Now I have a spare batter and I have a car charger as well. Android is not alone in this problem - iPhone users and crackberry addicts have the same complaints. I can't tell you how many iPhone users I see with their phone plugged into their computers during the day.

    I think it's unfair for Larry to blame it on the apps - I would think the processing power and the screen would be a bigger drain. The funny thing regarding the apps is that most of the apps that I use are Google apps - gmail, Google Voice, Google Talk, Maps, etc - how much power are they draining, Larry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bring up a good point. Is the battery usage on Android phones any worse than on the iPhone or Blackberry devices? Probably not.

    I have thought about upgrading to the extended battery for my Droid, but I think it may require a different battery cover to accomodate the larger size of the battery. I can't decide if that's worth it...

    ReplyDelete