Pages

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Android Project Reviews: Mint.com Android App

Category: Finance
Price: Free
Gotta-have it factor: 3

I have been anticipating the release of the Mint.com application for as long as I’ve owned an Android phone. I think Mint.com is one of the best online tools for managing one’s finances (I prefer Quicken Online, although it will be phased out eventually now that Intuit owns Mint.com). After seeing what Mint.com could do in a full browser, I was excited to see how they would stretch the boundaries of mobile finance tracking.

Well, the Mint.com Android application is finally here, and I’m quite disappointed. I thought it would give me more than just simple access to my account information. I’ve already installed Pageonce’s Personal Assistant, which gives me more information than the Mint.com app. I was hoping it would give me access to the functions that make Mint.com so great as an online finance tracker, such as reports and graphs. I understand that Mint is limited by the phone’s processing power and internet speeds, but the application overall just seems underwhelming.

If you don’t use Pageonce’s Personal Assistant, Mint.com’s Android App may be what you are looking for. It is pretty, and there is something to be said about its simplicity. As far as information it provides, you have access to your Mint.com Account balances and transactions, along with your Budget, Cash Flow, and Alerts. You can set a passcode to protect your Mint data from the snooping of your current or future mother-in-law.

The Mint.com Android app also comes with a widget that provides your current Cash and Debt balances, but it takes up 2 rows, so you better really need that information quickly if you’re willing to give up that much screen real estate.
I will probably keep the application installed on my phone until I need the space, but I don’t think I will be using it that often. The only way I can recommend the Mint.com app is if you are a Mint.com user, you don’t use Pageonce’s Personal Assistant, and you need a simple, yet attractive application for tracking your finances. For the rest of you, go download Personal Assistant and try it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment