Pages

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Android 2.2 Highlights from Google I/O



Well yesterday was pretty mind-blowing as far as Google and Android news goes. We've all been waiting for and expecting Google to announce the next update of Android to version 2.2, aka "Froyo." However, I was surprised at how many new features Android will be getting. Here is a list of the highlights:

* USB and Wifi data tethering

* SD card app installation and storage

* Automatic app updates and multiple simultaneous updates

* Faster browser

* Flash support

I know Google wants to keep its users happy, but that list is amazing. It took Apple forever just to allow its iPhone to record video, but with a single update, Google is giving us practically everything we've been asking for. I think what I'm most excited for is the ability to install apps on the SD card. A few of the apps I have installed on my phone take up 20mb or more of phone storage, such as The Rescue of Ginger (for my daughter) and Raging Thunder 2 (for me). It gets frustrating when I have to uninstall some apps just to install new ones, but now that problem should be solved.

Unfortunately, those of us who don't own a Nexus One will most likely be waiting for months for the official update to be released by the carriers. Oh well, at least I have something to look forward to!

No comments:

Post a Comment